DREAM Act a Nightmare for Romney

  

January 18, 2011; Source: DRMCAPITOL GROUP Channel |      In a YouTube video uploaded by the DRM Capitol Group, an advocacy group for undocumented immigrant youth, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is confronted by one of the protesters who attended the Republican presidential candidate’s Tuesday night fundraising event at the Sheraton Hotel in New York City.

The video shows Lucy, a young woman who was brought to the United States when she was ten years old, asking the presidential hopeful if he would support the DREAM Act, a federal bill which would grant current, former, and future undocumented high-school graduates and GED recipients a pathway to U.S. citizenship through college or the armed services. “I already said, across the country, I would veto the DREAM Act,” the GOP frontrunner answered. “I already said, across the country, I would veto the Dream Act” the GOP frontrunner answered.

This is consistent with Romney’s hardline immigration stance which he reiterated at the GOP presidential debate on Monday.

“I absolutely believe that those who come here illegally should not be given favoritism or a special route to becoming permanent residents or citizens that’s not given to those people who have stayed in line legally. I just think we have to follow the law. I think that’s the right course,”

he said when asked by Fox News political analyst Juan Williams whether he was alienating Latino voters. “I would veto the DREAM Act,” Romney said, if it included provisions that stated “if they go to school here long enough [and] get a degree here they can become permanent residents.” After applause from the audience, Romney added, “I think that’s a mistake. I think we have to follow the law and insist those who come here illegally ultimately return home, apply, and get in line with everyone else.”

The DRM Capitol Group, which released a statement recounting Romney’s interaction with Lucy, is now collecting signatures on its Web site to give Romney “the proof that he needs to support the DREAM Act in order to be even considered by Latinos.”

Erwin de Leon

About

Erwin de Leon

Erwin de Leon is a researcher at Urban Institute and writer on nonprofit, immigration and LGBT issues.

  • magyart

    Promising to veto the Dream Act is no nightmare. Mitt may lose a few Hispanic votes, but will double down on the independent votes.

    Sen. McCain worked tirelessly for CIR and only received 33% of the Hispanic vote, which is 2%. So, if no Hispanics vote for Mitt, he only loses 2% of the total vote. I bet he gains 4%, by promising this veto.

    Remember to use your vote and oppose every candidate that supports illegal immigration.

  • #americancitizen

    You must not be understanding the dyanamics of the Latina/o vote and those who favor immigration reform. In regards to the Latina/o vote, any presidential candidate needs approximately 40% in order to clinch a clear presidency victory. Mittens risks alienating independents (60% of Americans favor pathway to citizenship for undocumented residents)and moderates will not fly for that right-wing rhetoric that is all too similar to how people used to greet the notions of civil rights and desegregation. Republican policies setup this ‘free market’ idealized dream and screwed everybody over with unregulated Wall St. kingpins and now Romney wants to return exactly to those days, thinking that the money will somehow trickle down to those who are in poverty due to systemic inequalities like racism, sexism, xenophobia and everyday discrimination. Romney is a progresssive – as in he progresses in the direction of policies where the political climate benefits him.

    Sorry kids, its another 4 years. You can’t clean up an 8 years mess within 3 and a half years, some of that time with a Republican minded Congress that at one point had 9% approval ratings.