NPQ is the leading media platform for the nonprofit sector in the US. It recently transitioned from the founding President and Editor in Chief, to NPQ’s second editorial leader. During this transition, NPQ is grounding itself in its original mission to advance civil society, to look beyond the nonprofit sector. In a time of social movement, this means rethinking what constitutes knowledge in the field. We are also firmly taking a stand for justice, and our contents reflects this.
To these ends, NPQ uses a range of media channels. In addition to our quarterly magazine, we produce multiple weekly newsletters, webinars, podcasts, videos, and online convenings to promote critical conversations in economic, racial, health, and climate justice, as well as management and leadership.
NPQ currently has about 15 staff, and is in a significant growth phase. We are headquartered in Boston, with remote staff in Utah, Texas, Rhode Island, and Florida.
The Managing Editor is a seasoned journalist who strongly believes in the impact and importance of in-depth journalism, and thrives while coaching, inspiring, mentoring, and leading a rapidly evolving multiplatform editorial room.
The Managing Editor is a critical, senior leadership role reporting directly to the Editor in Chief. The Managing Editor is responsible for reviewing all work submitted by a collective group of content creators, approving or rejecting it as necessary with the Editor in Chief’s direction. They will also be responsible for various tasks, such as regular operations not related to content. Important skills for this position include creativity, problem-solving, leadership, and communication skills to work well with content creators and other staff.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for upholding NPQs high editorial standards, as well as journalistic ethics and integrity. They will lead the editorial team’s embrace of multi-platform content creation and distribution to help us connect our journalism with various audiences.
Editorial Planning, Scheduling, Editing
- Work closely with Editor in Chief and senior editorial staff, set deadlines and workflow for content, and determine the best platforms for distribution
- Serve as a primary editor to ensure content is produced in an effective, timely, and responsible manner
- Act as a proactive liaison between Editor in Chief and staff to advance NPQs content and elevate the work of the staff
Administration of Personnel, Budget, Technology
- Help set goals and monitor scheduling and performance of all editorial personnel
- Help set the tone for a newsroom culture of excellence through collaboration
- Lead the effort to ensure inclusive language and a multi-voice approach
- Responsible for making sure that newsroom staff have the tools and resources they need
- Strong editorial and ethical judgment
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience with multi-platform content production
The salary for this position is $75,000 to $85,000, in addition to healthcare, paid leave, and retirement contribution.
The policy and intent of NPQ is to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, affectional orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age. Relevant experience or demonstrated capacity to perform needed tasks will be considered in lieu of formal educational requirements.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
No phones calls please.