This webinar features a conversation between three leaders from nonprofits dedicated to worker advocacy, power building, and fair wages. Our panelists are:
Saru Jayaraman, President of One Fair Wage
Chirag Mehta, Director of Policy and Ideas at Community Change
Erica Smiley, Executive Director of Jobs with Justice
This webinar explores:
- What are the core stakes in the fight for fair wages?
- What are the challenges that campaigns for wage justice face?
- How is wage justice related to other struggles for racial and gender justice?
- How do we build power to transform the subminimum wage economy?
- How do subminimum wages and anti-worker policy affect democracy?
- What kind of legislative policies— antitrust laws or universal basic income, for example— would best support wage justice?
- What can practitioners and organizers learn from current wage justice struggles?
Allegra Baider and Chirag Mehta, “Building Power and Prosperity for Families: Tackling the Child Care Crisis Ahead of the Next Recession,” Washington, DC: Community Change, June 4, 2019.
Sara Jayaraman, “How DoorDash and Postmates Make an Already Dangerous Job Worse,” Eater, December 16, 2021.
Saru Jayarman, “How Restaurant Workers Are Inheriting a Legacy of Slavery in the US,” Bioneers, October 2017.
Jon Pratt, “It’s Complicated: Nonprofit Organizations and Wage Equity,” NPQ, March 15, 2022.
Erica Smiley, “Collective Bargaining 3.0,” Dissent, March 15, 2022.
Erica Smiley, “Corporate Attack on Democracy: An Assault on the Working Class,” LA Progressive, February 1, 2022.