Tough times. Enough to keep the best of us up at night
I have been hearing in my travels that some of you are already making financial decisions in response to what is generally seen as being a worsening economic climate. Certain types of organizations have already experienced funding cuts, and we have heard that some groups are making staff and program changes. On the assumption that we can all learn from one another, we would ask you to share your situation and decision making with us and fellow readers. Post directly to our Web site or send us an email that we will post for you, unattributed, on our site. After we have received a number of responses, I will ask a few well-seasoned experts on such stuff to weigh in with their opinions on the strategies you are taking.
When you write in — please answer some or all of the following questions:
- · What actions you have taken and what cuts you have made or do intend to make?
- · What circumstances have precipitated this action (is it real or anticipated cuts and from which type(s) of funding source).
- · What immediate and longer term effect it will have on your organization and its constituents?
- · How did you talk with board members and others about these actions?
- · Have you been involved in any collective advocacy with other organizations regarding budgets?
Your story is likely to be quite helpful to others. Try to present a balanced view of the action you took and what it took to m