NPQ needs your feedback. We need your answers to our annual readers’ survey so we can make sure we understand what you expect and need and value from us.
Why is this year’s survey especially important? Our readership has grown a lot. Here is one way of measuring that: Over the past year (ending yesterday), we published 20 articles that had between 10,000 and 41,000 readers each. These readers are nonprofit staffs and boards, philanthropists, regulators and policymakers. That’s a ten-fold increase from the previous year, when we published only two articles with more than 10,000 readers in the same period. At the same time, our newswire subscribership has doubled—to nearly 50,000.
What this means is that we are serving many more of you than we once did. So, here’s the deal we want to make: We give you this list of twenty of our articles in the over-10,000-readers category, and you take our survey. It won’t take long—not even as long as it took us to make this list.
This is one of the many ways NPQ tries to stay on track, so help us serve you better and take the survey now!
NPQ publishes a combination of articles about the internal operations and external operating environments of nonprofits and philanthropy, so what you see below represents that mix.
- Native Lives Matter: Police Killing Native Americans at Astounding Rate
- Understanding the Pros and Cons of the Common Core State Standards
- A Graphic Re-Visioning of Nonprofit Overhead
- After 25 Years, Teach For America Results are Consistently Underwhelming
- Why Funding Overhead is Not the Real Issue: The Case to Cover Full Costs
- Charitable Plutocracy: Bill Gates, Washington State, and the Nuisance of Democracy
- Creationist Noah’s Ark Theme Park Incites Protests, Criticism
- Unhappy Paradox: Nonprofit Reactions to New Overtime Rules Run the Gamut
- Nonprofit Dissolution: What to Do When Closing the Doors
- Does My Nonprofit Need to Pay Tax? Understanding Unrelated Business Income Tax
- The Matrix Map: A Powerful Tool for Mission-Focused Nonprofits
- How Nonprofits Use Social Media to Engage with Community
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance: Why It’s Worth the Cost
- An Executive Director’s Guide to Financial Leadership
- 10 Ways to Kill Your Nonprofit
- Should Your Nonprofit Build an Endowment?
- Poverty Porn: Do the Means Justify the Ends?
- Nonprofit Ethics and Accountability: Rotting from the Head Down
- Is Exploiting Workers Key to Your Nonprofit Enterprise Model? The New Overtime Requirements
- Donor Retention: What Do We Know & What Can We Do about It?
A NOTE: Many NPQ articles have long “legs”—that is, they stand the test of time—so some of the pieces that got such great readership over the last year were from as far back as 2012, making their total readership numbers even higher. Often, a new conversation will boost an influential older article into resurgence, and it just kind of goes viral.
This influence flows from the intelligence of our readers. Your accumulated knowledge mixed with research and a deep knowledge of your context is NPQ’s strong suit so remember to take that survey today!