We realize that our readers have favorite corners of our content—for some, our articles and webinars on financial management are a particular sweet spot; for others, it is our tracking of new practices in movement building or our critical analyses of policy. Still others value our constant monitoring of the operating environment or our review of new theories of management. Each has its own fan club, but the really dedicated reader knows all of what we have to offer—and how that has expanded greatly over the past year.
NPQ resolved last year to produce more intentional streams of content aimed at advancing either practice or policy. This content would include not only articles, but also webinars, podcasts, and online gatherings. In this update, we provide a retrospective of some of the streams we have worked on this past year. They are divided into three sections:
- Cutting-edge management and governance
- Equity and economy
- Civil sector policy initiatives
We also inaugurated a few new components to our work, and the first is the production of in-depth webinar series. The first of these was on nonprofit business models, and the other, which extends into next year, is on the nonprofit role in rebuilding the economy. You can watch the first here. We also introduced the Tiny Spark podcasts which delve deep into a variety of very current topics, as you can see here. Reporter Amy Costello’s coverage of the inequities in crowdfunding, which can be accessed there, should not be missed. While you are on that page, make sure to subscribe (for free).
Another new component of our work is a focused effort to identify, analyze, and take positions on policy issues in the sector, which we’ve marked below. This is the first time we have explicitly focused on this, and we hope you will find that NPQ’s particular niche concerning these questions will be to disengage the analysis to some extent from its focus on large institutional interests.
Cutting-Edge Management and Governance
NONPROFIT FINANCIAL STRUCTURES
- It’s Time for the Public to Understand Nonprofit Business Models
- About Nonprofit Waste, Overhead and Financial Subservience
NONPROFIT HUMAN CAPITAL AND LEADERSHIP
- Leadership Ethos: How What We Believe Can Inform Leadership Practices
- Emergent Coaching: Becoming Nimble in Complex Times
- Nurturing Renewable Human Capital in the Nonprofit Workplace
BOARDS AND GOVERNANCE
- From Risk Management to Risk Leadership: A Governance Conversation with David O. Renz
- Fear, Tradition and Serendipity: The Unacknowledged Drivers of Governance Strategy
Equity and Economy
INTERSECTIONAL RACE EQUITY
- The Nonprofit Sector as White Space
- Two Philanthropic Approaches to Strengthening Puerto Rico
- Moving Beyond the Privilege of White Tears
- Why Are We Still Struggling with Diversity, Equality and Inclusion in Nonprofit Governance?
NONPROFITS’ ROLE IN CHANGING THE ECONOMY
- The Economy is Changing, And So Must We: A New Charge for Nonprofits
- Restoring Reciprocity: How the Nonprofit Sector Can Help Save Capitalism from Itself
- Visions of a New Economy from Detroit: A Conversation with Malik Yakini
- Historic Federal Law Gives Employee-Owned Businesses Access to SBA Loans