12:00 p.m. May 11, 2011 | Roger Clegg, from the Center for Equal Opportunity, offered these 10 points as his definition of Americanism. You can also find them on his website. What do you think?
1. Don’t disparage anyone else’s race or ethnicity.
2. Respect women.
3. Learn to speak English.
4. Be polite.
5. Don’t break the law.
Sign up for our free newsletter
Subscribe to the NPQ newsletter to have our top stories delivered directly to your inbox.
6. Don’t have children out of wedlock.
7. Don’t demand anything because of your race, ethnicity, or sex.
8. Don’t view working and studying hard as “acting white.”
9. Don’t hold historical grudges.
10. Be proud of being an American.