Nonprofit Quarterly is a 30-year-old independent publication that is seen as a rigorous nonprofit practitioner’s journal. And it is the most read publication in the nonprofit sector. Its orientation is to surface the questions, intelligence, and experience of those in the field and find the knowledge needed to advance practice. It is dedicated to the civil sector as the venue that champions the common good, including active democracy and culture.
NPQ has multiple venues that can be mixed and matched for effect. These include:
- Three weekly curated newsletters on leadership, economic democracy, and race + power, distributed to 50,000
- Approximately 30-40 online workshops annually, with an average of 2,000 participants each
- A twice-monthly podcast, with an audience of 10,000
- A quarterly magazine, with 5,000 subscribers
- 3,100,000 users annually
The Managing Editor is a seasoned journalist who strongly believes in the impact and importance of in-depth journalism, and thrives while coaching, inspiring, mentoring, and leading a rapidly evolving multiplatform editorial room.
The Managing Editor is a critical, senior leadership role reporting directly to the Editor in Chief. The Managing Editor is responsible for reviewing all work submitted by a collective group of content creators, approving or rejecting it as necessary with the Editor in Chief’s direction. They will also be responsible for various tasks, such as regular operations not related to content. Important skills for this position include creativity, problem-solving, leadership, and communication skills to work well with content creators and other staff.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for upholding NPQs high editorial standards, as well as journalistic ethics and integrity. They will lead the editorial team’s embrace of multi-platform content creation and distribution to help us connect our journalism with various audiences.
Editorial Planning, Scheduling, Editing
- Work closely with Editor in Chief and senior editorial staff, set deadlines and workflow for content, and determine the best platforms for distribution
- Serve as a primary editor to ensure content is produced in an effective, timely, and responsible manner
- Act as a proactive liaison between Editor in Chief and staff to advance NPQs content and elevate the work of the staff
Administration of Personnel, Budget, Technology
- Help set goals and monitor scheduling and performance of all editorial personnel
- Help set the tone for a newsroom culture of excellence through collaboration
- Lead the effort to ensure inclusive language and a multi-voice approach
- Responsible for making sure that newsroom staff have the tools and resources they need
- Strong editorial and ethical judgment
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience with multi-platform content production
The salary for this position is $75,000 to $85,000, in addition to healthcare, paid leave, and retirement contribution.
The policy and intent of NPQ is to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, affectional orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age. Relevant experience or demonstrated capacity to perform needed tasks will be considered in lieu of formal educational requirements.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
No phones calls please.