With each day come more statements from organizations articulating their stances and, in some cases, their specific commitments to be part of change in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd. Some nonprofit and philanthropic boards are actively discussing whether to make a statement at all, and if so, what it should contain. What is the nonprofit board of directors’ responsibility and opportunity for leadership around racial justice? Beyond the board statement, what can boards do to ensure that the organizations they govern are living their values?
In this webinar session, nationally recognized governance, strategy, and equity consultants Vernetta Walker and Robin Stacia have an in-depth set conversation about how boards of directors can and should join the movement for racial justice.
Topics will include:
- What is the value of board statements to the community?
- How should boards of directors be responding right now? What questions should they be engaging?
- How can boards show up authentically if they are early in their understanding of and/or commitment to racial justice?
- What kinds of risks and backlash to joining the movement are boards worried about? Why?
- What if the staff have a more developed racial justice stance than the board?
- What is the role of the CEO in facilitating the board’s racial justice work?